Veit Heller—Technologist at Large
Nice to meet you! I’m Veit, a programmer from Berlin and a technologist at large.
Technologist at large [tek-ˈnä-lə-jist ət ˈlärj]
one who is able to design, conceptualize, build, shape, or in any other way influence computer systems, not bound to any particular employer.
What I am doing right now
I’m currently in Berlin, Germany, trying to understand how to take care of a new, tiny human being. It’s my first rodeo.
What I can do for you
I am available for consulting work. Here are a few examples of work I could do for you:
- Help you figure out what technologies are well-suited for your project, and create an actionable roadmap.
- Design and architect software services, and help your team build them.
- Prototype a new idea or extension of your business, and meticulously document the process and assumptions along the way so you can take over painlessly.
- Mentor developers and lead by example through honest and kind review and code to build on top of.
I have worked with a wide array of technologies and companies and consider myself a generalist. Of course, this also means that I’m not an expert in any one field—the best way to know whether I’m the right person for your project is to ask me.
My ultimate goal is always to make myself replacable. I want you to be able to take over control whenever you think the right time has come—ideally we find a moment together—, and I want you to be able to pick up work exactly where I stopped. I don’t want you to become dependent on me, and neither do you.
What I charge
My rates are fixed and follow a simple, but beautiful scheme:
- If your product is a closed source, proprietary solution, I charge 1,000€ per day.
- If your product is open source, I charge 800€ per day, 100€ of which will be donated to a charitable organization of my choice. If you want to know which organizations I support and why, check out my blog post about it!
My workday has eight hours and I charge by the hour.
If you have any questions about my rates or are unsure whether your product qualifies as “open source”, contact me!
How you can contact me
I love to hear from any- and everyone who wants to share something with me, especially if I can help you in any way!
Of course, you can also contact me just to chat! To understand what I can help you with and what I’m particularly interested in, check out my open invitation!